A classic family meal loaded with extra veges.
With any of my recipes I tend to make them up as I go, so exact measurements are loose. Please feel free to have a play around with them to make it your own...
- 200g dried macaroni pasta
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- 3 Tbsp plain flour
- Roughly one to two cups of milk
- 1 cup of cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1 courgette
- Cup of grated cheese
- Optional: Chopped Ham, Onion, garlic, herbs etc
(feel free to add any other veges and if your kids aren't keen on green simply peel the courgette and swap the broccoli for more cauliflower.)
FYI there are great frozen options at countdown for Broccoli and Cauliflower rice which is what i used.
- In a pot start cooking pasta - follow the instructions on the back on the packet
- In another large pot melt the butter until starting to foam a bit, add the flour and whisk together. It will kind of go the the side of the pot. Take off the heat.
- In a blender, Nutribullet, whizz, even hand mixer - blend milk and the veges. You might have to do this in two batches if using a small blender.
- Add mixture to the butter/flour pot over a low heat and whisk until the smooth and sauce starts to thicken. Add cheese and stir through.
- Your pasta should be cooked now, drain and put into a baking dish. Pour over cheese sauce and add chopped ham and mix through. Sprinkle a handful of grated cheese over the top and pop into the oven for 15-20mins or until cheese melts.
- I haven't seasoned but feel free to add salt and pepper to taste